The Lord Mayor
Katrina Fong Lim
Address: GPO Box 84, Darwin NT 0801
Telephone: 8930 0517 (BH)
Mobile: 0421 289 872
Katrina was born in 1961 in Darwin; the fourth daughter of respected local couple Alec and Norma Fong Lim. Alec was a businessman who eventually became a very popular Lord Mayor in the 1980s. Katrina completed her primary and secondary education in Darwin, matriculating from Darwin High School in 1979. She was an AFS Exchange Student to the USA for the 1978-79 school year.
Katrina worked for thirteen years with the Commonwealth Public Service, undertaking a variety of jobs in a range of government departments. She then left the Public Service to work in the not for profit sector where she worked for 20 years including time at the YWCA, Crafts Council, NT Centenary of Federation and most recently as the Executive Director of Australia Day Council NT.
Katrina completed both a Bachelor of Business with a double major plus a Master of Professional Accounting from the University of Southern Queensland by external studies. She has also operated a small business initially delivering Financial Management Training to builders through the Master Builders Association NT.
Katrina was voted Lord Mayor of Darwin in April 2012, and together with twelve elected Aldermen, will lead the 21st Council of Darwin for a period of four years.
Katrina lives with her husband Tony Waite in Nightcliff. She names her five sisters and mother as her strongest supporters and influencers, with the values and ethics instilled by her late father Alec Fong Lim still guiding her today.
- Bachelor of Business (Human Resource Management and Marketing)
- Master of Professional Accounting
- Member of the Institute of Public Accountants
- Member of BPW (Business and Professional Women)
- Member of ALGWA (Australian Local Government Women's Association)
- Member of Australian Institute of Company Directors
- Patron of the Surf Life Saving NT
- Patron of the Darwin Dog Obedience Club
- Patron of the Nightcliff Sports Club
- Patron of the Mindil Aces Football Club
- Patron of Arafura Dragon Boat Paddlers Club
- Patron of the Darwin City Brass Band
- Vice Patron of the Royal Agricultural Society of the NT Inc
Current Community Memberships
- National Trust NT
- Chung Wah Society NT
- Darwin Symphony Orchestra
- Australia China Friendship Society
- CDU Foundation