Environment and Waste Reporting
National Environmental Protection Measures
Used Packaging Materials
National Environmental Protection Measures (NEPM) outline national objectives for protecting or managing particular aspects of the environment. The NEPM may consist of any combination of goals, standards, protocols, and guidelines and may relate to one or more of the following:
- ambient air quality
- ambient marine, estuarine and fresh water quality
- the protection of amenity in relation to noise (but only if differences in markets for goods and services)
- general guidelines for the assessment of site contamination
- environmental impacts associated with hazardous wastes
- the re-use and recycling of used materials
The NEPM may also relate to motor vehicle noise and emissions. For further information visit the Environmental Protection and Heritage Council website
The Used Packaging Materials NEPM aims to reduce environmental degradation arising from the disposal of used packaging and natural resources through the encouragement of re-use and recycling.
Under the NEPM Local Governments are required to report on their waste and recycling activities for the year.
The 2010 - 2011 Used Packaging NEPM report for the Northern Territory is available here.