Fencing is not compulsory around Darwin residential properties, and City of Darwin has no control over residential fencing.

Generally, permits for, or issues relating to, load-bearing (ie wind-bearing) fences are handled through the NT Government's Building Advisory Board.

Further information can be obtained by accessing the Northern Territory Fences Act.

Disputes between neighbours over fencing issues will need to be resolved through the justice system if they cannot be sorted out amicably 'over the fence'.