November 2015 Update:
Council recently made the decision to permanently close vehicle access between two car parks. As part of the Master Plan, the area in front of the pool will be landscaped and the shared path will continue to provide access between the car parks for pedestrians and bike riders. Two new hardstand areas will provide for street food vendors to continue to operate in the pool area. New signage, LED lighting and a new facade on the front of the existing Nightcliff pool building will enhance amenity and visitor safety for all uses of the area. Read the report with all the pictures here (from page 172 onwards).
The roof of the new cafe has now been constructed and the initial works for the fit out of the interior of the cafe by the lessee have started. We are expecting the new cafe to be open early in 2016.
October 2015 Update:
- Works to the Nightcliff café building are 55% complete, and the structural shell of the café building is finished. Roofing and internal works are the next work stages
- Vehicle access on the road in front of the pool (between the two car parks) is restricted. Shared pedestrian and bike access between the two car parks will continue throughout
- Mobile food vans will continue to operate in the area during and after the construction of the new cafe
- Construction is expected to be completed by the end of 2015
- From Monday 5 October 2015 the western carpark will be fenced off and closed for public access while infrastructure and landscaping works take place. The western car park will be closed until the project is completed by the end of this year
- Access to the work area highlighted in red on the map below will be restricted for the duration of the project
- Shared pedestrian and bike access between the two car parks will continue throughout the project
- The new shared path following the coast line is under construction, and landscaping works are underway
Thank you to all those who have previously registered to receive updates about the project. If you would like to be added to the list to receive progress updates, please email email@example.com with Nightcliff Cafe in the subject line.
Need more information?
The Nightcliff Cafe Archive provides background information including previous reports and Council decisions.