Skip to main content


Fencing around residential properties is not compulsory in Darwin. Before you erect a fence around your property you should read and understand any rules and regulations that may apply.

Where to Find Fencing Information

Generally, permits for, or issues relating to, load-bearing (ie wind-bearing) fences are handled through the Northern Territory Government's Building Advisory Board. City of Darwin has no control over residential fencing, permits or otherwise.

Further information can be obtained by accessing the Northern Territory Government website & reading the Northern Territory Fences Act.


Disputes between neighbours over fencing issues will need to be resolved through the justice system if they cannot be sorted out amicably 'over the fence'.

Help us improve this site