This code of conduct preserves the right of library users to access information, programs and services in a safe and welcoming environment, as specified in the Public Library Service Policy.
2 Standards of Behaviour
Users of City of Darwin Libraries must:
- comply with the City of Darwin By-Laws 2023
- ensure children under 10 years of age are supervised by a parent or caregiver at all times
- observe that the security and safety of people and property is not infringed
- show due regard for the needs and sensitivities of others
- treat everyone fairly, courteously and with dignity. Discrimination of any kind will not be tolerated, including but not limited to race, skin colour, religion, gender, sexuality, disability or age.
Failure to observe these standards is unacceptable and may result in being asked to leave the premises.
3 Unacceptable Behaviour
Unacceptable behaviour includes behaviour that is inconsiderate, offensive or disrupts the comfort of other library users and behaviour that infringes on the security of people or property including but not limited to conduct outlined in the City of Darwin By-Laws 2023 and the Customer Conduct Policy such as:
- excessively loud or offensive conversations or noise
- displaying offensive material
- personal hygiene or dress contrary to minimum community norms
- being under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- harassing or bothering other library users
- acts of aggression, verbal and/or physical abuse, threats of harm, harassment, intimidation, stalking, assault (including spitting or deliberately coughing)
- threats with a weapon or common office items that can be used to harm another person or themselves
- physically preventing a staff member from moving around freely
- theft or malicious damage of property.
For the purposes of this code of conduct, City of Darwin Libraries staff are empowered to determine whether or not behaviour is unacceptable.
4 Legislative References
City of Darwin By-Laws 2023
5 Procedures / Related Documents
0099.100.E.R Customer Conduct Policy
0044.100.E.R Public Library Service Policy