City of Darwin Libraries Responsible Conduct Policy preserves the rights of library users to access information, programs and services in a safe and welcoming environment.
The City of Darwin Code of Conduct observes the statements in the Library Service Policy and the Darwin City Council By-Laws Part 6 Public Libraries.
Standards of Behaviour
Users of City of Darwin Libraries must:
- Comply with the Darwin City Council Council By-Laws Part 6 Public Libraries.
- Ensure children under 10 years of age are supervised by a parent or caregiver at all times.
- Observe that the security and safety of people and property is not infringed.
- Show due regard for the needs and sensitivities of others.
- Treat everyone fairly, courteously and with dignity. Discrimination of any kind will not be tolerated, including but not limited to race, skin colour, religion, gender, sexuality, disability or age.
Failure to observe these standards is unacceptable and may result in being asked to leave the premises and police may be summoned.
Unacceptable behaviour includes behaviour that is inconsiderate or offensive and behaviour that infringes on the security of people or property including but not limited to conduct outlined in the Darwin City Council By-Laws Part 6 Public Libraries.
- Communication that causes offence or disturbance to others (including receiving and conducting mobile telephone calls).
- Displaying material that is offensive to other members of the public.
- Personal hygiene or dress (including footwear) contrary to minimum community norms.
- Being under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
- Sleeping on the premises.
- Canvassing or hawking.
- Interference with personal property.
- Verbal abuse of staff.
- Abuse of the City of Darwin Libraries property, systems and processes.
- Events, actions or behaviours that harm or create the risk of harm such as intimidation and harassment.
- Theft or malicious damage of property.
- Trespassing including unauthorised entry to non-public areas including library systems.
For the purposes of this policy, the City of Darwin Library staff are empowered to determine whether or not behaviour is unacceptable.
General Manager Community