How to enter
You can enter online, by mail, or drop it in at any NT public library.
Online: upload a pdf of your book and fill in the online webform.
Mail: send your book plus one black + white photocopy of your book, along with the entry form to,
City of Darwin Libraries
PO Box 40171
Casuarina NT 0811
Drop it in: Bring your book plus one black + white photocopy of your book, along with the completed entry form to any NT public library (subject to opening hours).
An entry must be in book format and contain:
- A front and back cover
- A title page stating: the name of the book, the name of the author/s and an acknowledgement of an illustrator or other persons who have contributed to the book
- Page numbers must be printed on each page
- Maximum size - Print: A4 (210mm x 297mm), Online: maximum 20MB
- The book should be well bound (loose papers or paper clipping may not be acceptable), written by hand or typed text.
Check your entry has these important elements:
- An original story
- Completed Entry Form
- Your entry fits the specifications of a book
- You have read and agree to the Terms and Conditions
- Entries sent by mail or dropped into a library: a well-bound book plus 1 x black + white photocopy
- Entries online: a pdf of the book (maximum 20MB)
- School Entries: A separate list of student names
- School Entries: Parental permission forms attached.
Terms and conditions
- The promoter is City of Darwin Libraries (ABN 11 503 313 301) (Promoter) of Civic Centre, Harry Chan Ave, Darwin NT 0800.
- Entry is free.
- Entrants must be 18 years or under and reside in the Northern Territory at the time of writing the book (entrants).
- Entries will close on 27 August 2021.
- The aim of this competition is to create an original story using original text and original illustrations.
- Entries will be judged on originality, creative expression, storytelling and presentation.
- An entrant may seek assistance from a mentor to assist only with brainstorming ideas, story structure and final assistance with proofing.
- All entries should be submitted as a hardcopy book or as a pdf if entering online (see details of the Entry Specifications above).
- Entries must be submitted together with a completed entry form. The entry form can be either submitted by an individual entrant or by the classroom teacher in the case of a school entry.
- Hard copy submissions require one (1) original hardcopy of the book and one (1) additional hardcopy of the book with an entry form. A stapled black and white photocopy of the original book will be acceptable.
- Online submissions require one (1) pdf of the book to be uploaded to the website and complete the online entry form.
- The promoter will acknowledge receipt of an entry via email to the email address provided in the entry form.
- Entries submitted for the award will not be returned.
- A school entry must be submitted by the classroom teacher and authored by the majority of the class.
- Books may be fiction, non-fiction, novels, picture books, anthologies, etc. but must comply with the entry specifications.
- There is no limit to the number of entries. Please provide one completed entry form for each book submitted.
- Winners will be announced in November 2021.
- It is the responsibility of all participating schools to seek the permission of parents or guardians for the students' work to be published in various formats.
- Where a school has submitted an entry, a permission form template is available to parents of the students involved. Find the permission form here.
- Where a school has submitted an entry, the students will only be identified by their first name and the name of the school that the student attends. Students' surnames will not be published.
- Where an individual has submitted an entry, that entrant may be identified by using the entrant's first and last name.
- By submitting a completed entry form, an entrant (and the parents and guardians of the entrant) acknowledges and agrees:
- All entries will be permanently held by the promoter within the Young Territory Author collection;
- The entrant will retain ownership of the original story and illustrations, and has the right to reproduce;
- The entrant grants to the promoter a licence to use the entries and any part of the entries;
- That winners consent to the promoter using their name, likeness, image and/or voice (including photographs, films or recordings), as well as all or any part of the entrant's entry, in any media for the purpose of promoting and advertising the Young Territory Author Awards and any commercial or non-commercial purpose the promoter sees fit, for an unlimited period of time without remuneration; and
- The promoter may make an entry available to the public online to borrow.
- Each entrant agrees that his or her entry is an original work.
- By submitting an entry, entrants accept these Terms and Conditions of Entry.
- The promoter reserves the right in its sole discretion to disqualify any entry that does not meet these Terms and Conditions of Entry.
- Judges will take into account the age of the entrant.
- The Judges’ decision will be final.