The Shoal Bay Waste Management Facility is the only licensed landfill that services the greater Darwin region. Households and businesses can access Shoal Bay for a range of waste management disposal options.
Accessing Shoal Bay for Business
Your business can use its own vehicles to dispose commercial loads of waste at Shoal Bay Waste Management Facility. Accessing Shoal Bay as a commercial operator requires different protocol to residential users.
Sort and Save at Shoal Bay.
Before you take your load to Shoal Bay we suggest sorting your items by separating recyclables from general waste. Doing this will help you save at the weighbridge!
Protocol for Commercial Access
- When arriving at Shoal Bay, please access the weighbridge via the commercial lane (right-side).
- Non account holders are required to pay for their load at the weighbridge. See Weighbridge Fees and Charges.
- Weighbridge staff will provide direction to vehicle drivers on how to dispose their load.
- Please ensure all directions are followed and obey all signage within the facility.
- Please take care when accessing the landfill site and ensure that your load is safely secured
- All loads of Soil, Asbestos Materials or Special Waste require approval prior to disposing at Shoal Bay. Please see Disposing Asbestos and Special Waste for more.
- Smoking and scavenging is not permitted at Shoal Bay Waste Management Facility.
Contact Shoal Bay
Shoal Bay Weighbridge Office:
Payment Options at Shoal Bay
We accept the following payment options at the Shoal Bay Weighbridge:
- all major credit cards (VISA, MasterCard, AMEX, Diners)
- credit account (application required).
Commercial fees and charges are charged by weight and item type.
Arrange a Commercial Credit Account
If your business regularly accesses Shoal Bay to dispose waste, setting up an account will make the process faster and easier for you and your staff. As an account holder you can manage your fleet access by authorising which vehicles can use your business account.
To arrange an account please fill out the application form below.
If you are an account holder looking to amend vehicle access to your business’s credit account, please download the appropriate form below.
- Vehicle Authorisation Form – Permanent Account Access
- Vehicle Authorisation Form – Temporary Account Access
Types of Commercial Waste
There are a number of common items that come through the commercial lane at the Shoal Bay Weighbridge. We’ve put together a list of common waste items that you can dispose at Shoal Bay. Please note: this list does not include special wastes or recyclables.
If you have any questions on the types of commercial wastes that can be disposed of at Shoal Bay, please contact our Waste and Recycling Team on:
General waste items can be any item that cannot be recycled or is not toxic/harmful. Some common items that are accepted are;
- building rubble
- restaurant waste
- office waste (not recyclables).
Commercial Landscape Disposal
If you are a commercial landscape business you can dispose of landscape waste at Shoal Bay. Common landscape waste items are:
- uncontaminated foliage