Skip to main content

Palmerston Cemetery

Home / Node / Palmerston Cemetery

Warning message

The subscription service is currently unavailable. Please try again later.

Palmerston Cemetery

Accessible
Address 
9 Wilkinson St Parap

The Pioneer Cemetery is situated on Goyder Road and is also known as the Goyder Road Cemetery or Palmerston Cemetery.

The Pioneer Cemetery was opened in 1865 and closed in 1919 and has been managed by City of Darwin since 1958.

The first burial took place around 1872 or 1873. In all, 1,230 burials took place at this cemetery; however 450 of these were not recorded by Births, Deaths and Marriages. Today, about 90 graves are still visible, within the new fenced area of what remains of the old cemetery.

The cemetery is held in high esteem especially by the Darwin Community for its symbolic and social associations and generates a great deal of interest from visitors to Darwin.

View more cemeteries

Help us improve this site