Do you currently run, or are you interested in running, a low-cost activity or program that promotes healthy lifestyles?
This is your chance to be part of a community program helping build Darwin into an active and healthy place to live.
The Healthy Darwin program offers a range of group exercise sessions, workshops and short courses across Darwin to help our community live a healthy lifestyle. It runs for two 6-month seasons each year, April-September (Dry Season) and October-March (Wet Season).
Activities and workshops, where possible, make use of Darwin's community facilities and open spaces, and are subsidised by Council to ensure participants only pay a small fee.
The Healthy Darwin Team invites service providers who deliver healthy lifestyle programs or activities, that meet the eligibility criteria, to apply to be part of this innovative, community-based program.
Applications are called for in February and August each year. The 2023 Dry Season application period will run 08:00am Monday 06 February to 11:59pm Sunday 26 February and will be promoted here and on the Healthy Darwin Facebook page. Acceptance of applications after the closing date may be considered if funding is still available, but late applications will be prioritised accordingly. You will need to contact the Recreation Services Officer to see if further applications can be accepted for consideration.
Some examples of activities that have been included in past programs:
- Weekly group fitness classes - boxing, bootcamp, Zumba, yoga & Pilates, HIIT (high intensity interval training), aqua, seniors balance and resistance
- Health and nutrition sessions - cooking workshops, supermarket tours, walk&talk all things food, healthy lifestyle education sessions
- Workshops & Short Courses - meditation & breathing, cardio tennis, HIT cricket, running skills, swimming stroke correction, vision boarding, mobility & flexibility, mums&bubs bellydancing
The Benefits Of Being Involved:
- We will promote your activity's inclusion in the Healthy Darwin program through various sources, including the City of Darwin webpage, Healthy Darwin Facebook page and other digital platforms, City of Darwin Libraries and Council's Vibrant Darwin newsletter.
- We will help* cover the cost of venue hire or permit fees (*this does not imply 100% of the fees)
- You will receive a set fee for service of $50 inc GST per class (including delivery, planning and set up) for weekly activity providers; around $50 per hour for workshops and short courses - details will be provided upon successful inclusion in the program.
- Participants will pay direct to the instructor $5 per class for weekly group fitness/physical activity sessions, or up to $10 per person per hour (pro rata) for healthy lifestyle workshops and short courses.
- Weekly group fitness/physical activity sessions - 45-60mins, low to medium intensity (or can be modified for participants as required) that promote healthy and active lifestyles.
- Education sessions - minimum 45mins, pitched at an introductory level appropriate for participants with no prior knowledge but willing to learn.
- Provide the activity within the City of Darwin municipality.
- Provide an activity that can cater for 20 people.
- Hold current, appropriate qualifications, certificates and experience (where required) including First Aid and CPR.
- Hold, or willing to acquire, current public liability insurance for an amount not less than $20,000,000 (NB. If no current insurance, do not purchase until confirmation of inclusion in the program).
- Sign and abide by the conditions outlined in the Healthy Darwin Service Provider Agreement that you will receive if successful.
- Abide by all venue hire or permit conditions.
For further information on the Healthy Darwin program or other ways to keep active around Darwin:
Find Healthy Darwin on Facebook