Council currently operates its free Wi-Fi around the city through Telstra Air and Easyweb. Our Free Wi-Fi can be found on your device under the names 'SmartDarwin Free Wi-Fi' and 'City of Darwin Free Wi-Fi'.
The following steps will support your Wi-Fi-enabled device to stay connected across our wide network.
About #SmartDarwin Free Wi-Fi
City of Darwin's SmartDarwin Free Wi-Fi creates a more connected and accessible city. As a part of the 'Switching on Darwin' Smart City program, council rolled out 38 additional access points across the Darwin city centre powered through the Telstra Air network. The network is accessible 24/7 throughout the year.
The network name appearing on your device: SmartDarwin Free Wi-Fi and City of Darwin Free Wi-Fi.
#SmartDarwin Free Wi-Fi locations
- The Esplanade
- Mitchell Street
- Cavenagh Street
- Smith Street
- Knuckey Street
'Free Wi-Fi Zone' signs will tell you when you’re near a hotspot
Limitations on the 'Smart Darwin Free Wi-Fi'
The service is limited to 30 minutes per device per access point and no maximum data limit is applied during this period. The speed of the Wi-Fi is limited to ensure adequate bandwidth is shared amongst all users. The speed and bandwidth are suitable for casual web browsing, web-based email and social networking.
Technical support for the 'Smart Darwin Free Wi-Fi'
Council does not provide support for Wi-Fi devices. If the Wi-Fi is not available, this can be reported during business hours to council via phone at 08 8930 0300 or email to email@example.com.
About 'City of Darwin Free Wi-Fi'
Our public libraries and regional parks are all connected through the 'City of Darwin Free Wi-Fi' from Smith Street Mall in the city centre to the Nightcliff Aquatic Centre. The Wi-Fi is powered by Easyweb’s Wi-Fi system keeping Darwin visitors and residents connected and engaged.
City of Darwin Free Wi-Fi locations
- Smith Street Mall
- Bicentennial Park
- Civic Park
- Tamarind Park
- Anula Regional Playground
- Nightcliff Pool and Cafe
- Parap Pool
- City Library
- Casuarina Library
- Nightcliff Library
- Karama Library
Access our Free Wi-Fi networks 'SmartDarwin Free Wi-Fi' and 'City of Darwin Free Wi-Fi' through any of the following Wi-Fi-enabled devices.
- Mobile phones
- Personal computers
- Personal digital assistants
- Video game consoles
- MP3 players
Methods to connect to City of Darwin free Wi-Fi networks
- Scan for available Wi-Fi networks
- Select the network (SSID) 'SmartDarwin Free Wi-Fi' or 'City of Darwin Free Wi-Fi'
- If prompted Login using your email ID
- Accept the Terms and Conditions
- Navigate away from the landing page
Congratulations! You are now connected.
Wi-Fi Terms and Conditions
- Persons under the age of 18 are to be accompanied by a parent/guardian when registering for access to the Internet with the City of Darwin. The parent/guardian accepts liability & responsibility for allowing their child further access to the Internet at the City of Darwin.
- Users are responsible and liable for all material accessed, transmitted & displayed during their Internet session. The Internet is not to be used to access, transmit or display material that is illegal, offensive, pornographic, or objectionable.
- Users must respect copyright laws and software licensing agreements. Please read the Copyright Regulations located near the computers.
- Users will be considerate of other public space users and use headphones when playing sound files.
- Users will be respectful of other users, including children, youth, and families, and only access the wireless service in designated areas of the public space.
- The City of Darwin does not provide support to configure your equipment for wireless access. For further assistance refer to your user manual or contact the Public Wi-Fi vendor Easyweb Digital - 1300 135 249 or Telstra Air on 1800 241 600
- The City of Darwin is not responsible for any changes that you make to your computer's settings to access the wireless network and recommends that you make a note of any settings before you change them.
- City of Darwin Public wireless network is a non-secure network. Information sent to and from your wireless device may be captured by anyone else with a wireless device. Please keep this in mind when accessing personal or business information.
- The City of Darwin does not accept responsibility for any loss of data resulting from delays, non-deliveries, service interruptions, technical difficulties, or transmission of viruses.
- Anti-virus software, security, and privacy of information are the responsibility of the user.
- Free Wi-Fi in libraries has a download limit of up to 1GB daily with no time limit. When the maximum is reached, the connection will be automatically lost. Please note that printing from wi-fi is not available.
Any user identified as breaching the above conditions will be denied access to the Internet.
City of Darwin assumes no responsibility for any damages, direct or indirect, arising from the use of its connections to Internet services.