Accessing Shoal Bay for Business
Your business can use its own vehicles to dispose commercial loads of waste at Shoal Bay Waste Management Facility. Accessing Shoal Bay as a commercial operator requires different protocol to residential users.
Sort and Save at Shoal Bay.
Before you take your load to Shoal Bay we suggest sorting your items by separating recyclables from general waste. Doing this will help you save at the weighbridge!
Find out more
Protocol for Commercial Access
- When arriving at Shoal Bay, please access the weighbridge via the commercial lane (right-side).
- Non account holders are required to pay for their load at the weighbridge. See Weighbridge Fees and Charges.
- Weighbridge staff will provide direction to vehicle drivers on how to dispose their load.
- Please ensure all directions are followed and obey all signage within the facility.
- Please take care when accessing the landfill site and ensure that your load is safely secured
- All loads of Soil, Asbestos Materials or Special Waste require approval prior to disposing at Shoal Bay. Please see Disposing Asbestos and Special Waste for more.
- Smoking and scavenging is not permitted at Shoal Bay Waste Management Facility.
Contact Shoal Bay
Shoal Bay Weighbridge Office:
Payment Options at Shoal Bay
We accept the following payment options at the Shoal Bay Weighbridge:
- Due to Covid -19 Council has moved to implement cashless transactions only and Shoal Bay Weighbridge staff will no longer accept cash.
- all major credit cards (VISA, MasterCard, AMEX, Diners)
- credit account (application required).
Commercial fees and charges are charged by weight and item type.
Arrange a Commercial Credit Account
If your business regularly accesses Shoal Bay to dispose waste, setting up an account will make the process faster and easier for you and your staff. As an account holder you can manage your fleet access by authorising which vehicles can use your business account.
To arrange an account please fill out the application form below.
If you are an account holder looking to amend vehicle access to your business’s credit account, please download the appropriate form below.
- Vehicle Authorisation Form – Permanent Account Access
- Vehicle Authorisation Form – Temporary Account Access
Types of Commercial Waste
There are a number of common items that come through the commercial lane at the Shoal Bay Weighbridge. We’ve put together a list of common waste items that you can dispose at Shoal Bay. Please note: this list does not include special wastes or recyclables.
If you have any questions on the types of commercial wastes that can be disposed of at Shoal Bay, please contact our Waste and Recycling Team on:
Disposal of End of Life Tyres at Shoal Bay Waste Management Facility
As of 1 March 2021, City of Darwin will be moving to a particle size specification of no greater than 200mm² for the acceptance of shredded tyre material at Shoal Bay Waste Management Facility. There will be no change to the disposal charges as identified below.
Disposal of End Of Life Tyres has two charges being applied:
Un-shredded Tyres $551.00 per tonne
Shredded Tyres $281.00 per tonne
This change will bring Shoal Bay Waste Management Facility into line with industry practice across Australia.
The 1 March 2021 date has been chosen to give Industry the opportunity to transition to this change.
Please be advised that post 1 March 2021, any partially shredded EOLT material greater than the 200mm² specification will be charged at the Un-shredded tyre disposal charge of $546.00 per tonne.
General waste items can be any item that cannot be recycled or is not toxic/harmful. Some common items that are accepted are;
- building rubble
- restaurant waste
- office waste (not recyclables).
Commercial Landscape Disposal
If you are a commercial landscape business you can dispose of landscape waste at Shoal Bay. Common landscape waste items are:
- uncontaminated foliage