We maintain and administer three cemeteries in Darwin
DARWIN GENERAL CEMETERY
221 McMillans Road Jingili
The Darwin General Cemetery is a multi-denominational cemetery opened between 1954 and 1988, and again in 1989 and 2003. It is situated in McMillans Road, Marrara and is now closed except for interments into reserved gravesites and new ashes interments into the cemetery Niche Wall.
The cemetery is locked each night prior to 7pm and the gates are opened again at 6am every day. The cemetery has vehicle access from the main entry gate.
All permits in relation to Darwin General Cemetery can be obtained by contacting
08 8930 0300 or email@example.com
Find out more about cemeteries
GARDENS ROAD CEMETERY
191 Gardens Road The Gardens
The Gardens Road Cemetery is situated at 191 Gardens Road and was opened on 10 April 1919. The cemetery served as the official cemetery for Darwin until 11 December 1970. Its service to the Darwin community encompassed two world wars and catered for a fast growing multi-cultural society including Greek, Japanese, Chinese, Malay, Northern European, Anglos and Celts.
The cemetery exists as a microcosm of Darwin's history and social associations with representatives from each ethnic group that made up of the culture of Darwin. From the outbreak of war in 1939 a number of servicemen, mainly RAAF were buried at Gardens Road Cemetery, as were a number of American servicemen from late 1941.
The Gardens Road Cemetery provides a tangible reminder of the exploits and lives of many who contributed to the development of the Territory, particularly in the years between the wars, and of servicemen who were buried there in the early war years. Many of the graves represent the last resting place of Territorians whose contribution to the Territory is important to the interpretation of the Territory's historical, social and cultural background. During it's years in use, 848 adults and 83 children were recorded as being buried at the cemetery.
This cemetery was heritage listed in 1999.
All information regarding Gardens Road Cemetery can be obtained by contacting
Find out more about cemeteries
9 Wilkinson St Parap
The Palmerston Cemetery is situated on Goyder Road and is also known as the Goyder Road Cemetery or Pioneer Cemetery.
The Palmerston Cemetery was proposed in 1869, closed in 1919 and has been managed by City of Darwin since 1958.
The first burial took place around 1872 or 1873. It is estimated that 1,230 burials took place at this cemetery, however 450 of these were not recorded by Births, Deaths and Marriages. Today, about 90 graves are still visible, within the fenced area of what remains of the old cemetery.
For all enquiries and records relating to these cemeteries
08 8930 0300
Darwin Chinese Memorial Cemetery
The Chinese Cemetery located on Tiger Brennan Drive in Stuart Park.
This facility is managed by Chung Wah Society.
Most burials in the Darwin area now take place at Thorak Regional Cemetery on Deloraine Road near Berrimah.
This facility is managed by Litchfield Council.