You can choose to pay your rates in a single payment or via installments. Installments are bi-monthly and must be paid between September and March each year. Your annual rates notice includes the installment amount required and payment due date.
If you prefer, you can pay the full annual amount in one payment
Single payments are due by 30 September annually.
Paying by instalments
Instalments can be paid every two months between September and March annually. Check your rates notice for the instalment amount. Where payment dates fall on a weekend, payments can be made electronically. Alternatively payment will be accepted on the following business day without penalty.
Instalment due dates
- 30 September
- 30 November
- 31 January
- 31 March.
Penalty interest may be applicable on overdue accounts.
How to pay
You can pay your rates instalments:
- Via Pay Online
- BPAY available through your participating financial institution
- Direct debit via your bank account (download a copy of the direct debit form)
- Any post office in Australia - you will require your rates assessment number
- Civic Centre – open 8.00am to 5.00pm Monday to Friday (EFTPOS, MasterCard, AMEX, and Visa available)
- Mail – via cheque, money order or complete the credit card authority on your rates notice and send to:
City of Darwin, GPO Box 84, Darwin, NT, 0801
- Credit card by phone (24 hours) - 13 18 16 (MasterCard and Visa only).
Contact a member of our rates team:
Tel: 08 8930 0300
- Apart from my rates notice, how will I know when my rates are due?
We will send your rates notice via your nominated method (mail or electronic). Rates instalments are always due on the last day of September, November, January and March each year. If you have not received your notice by the 15th of September, November, January or March, you should contact our rates team as soon as possible.
Rate due dates are also published on our website.
- How many rates notices will I receive per year?
All rate payers will receive one annual rates notice before the first instalment is due in September.
- If you pay annually, this will be your only notice received for the year
- If you pay by instalments, you will be sent a courtesy notice prior to each instalment due date
- If you are ahead of your instalments (e.g. you pay by payroll deduction, direct debit, automatic BPAY) you may not receive a courtesy notice.
- When can I expect to receive my rates notice?
Generally rates notices are sent at least four weeks prior to the due date. If you have not received your rates notice by the 15th of the month in the month that instalments are due (see list below), we recommend that you contact our rates team as soon as possible.
You should receive your rates notice/courtesy notice by:
- 15 September (annual notice)
- 15 November
- 15 January
- 15 March.
- Can I receive my rates notice electronically?
Yes, you can choose between BPAY View or EZYbill (email delivery). You will need to opt-in to receive electronic notices by setting it up yourself. To find out how to set this up visit electronic rates notices.
- I haven't received my rates notice, what should I do?
If you believe you have not received your rates notice, please contact the rates team as soon as possible.
If your rates are overdue, you may be charged penalty interest.