A step by step guide to using PayStay
Skip straight to
There are three easy steps to use PayStay
1. Set up your account
To set up your account via phone or for support, call 1300 322 111
To register, you'll need to input
- your phone number
- some personal details
- a credit or debit card
- vehicle registration (you can input up to 10 registration numbers per account)
2. Begin your parking session
Before you leave your vehicle:
- open the PayStay app or call 1300 322 111
- select your vehicle registration
- enter the 8 digit PayStay zone number displayed on the PayStay sign
- select start
You can elect to receive an SMS reminder* from PayStay when your session is due to expire through the app. (a fee applies)
3. End your parking session
When you return to your vehicle:
- Open the PayStay app or call 1300 322 111
- Locate your session select stop
If you don't stop the session, you’ll be charged the maximum fee for that parking zone.
If you wish to park for longer than the time on the sign (for example, more than two hours in a ‘2P’ area), you must first move your vehicle to a new PayStay zone (this means the zone number changes).
PayStay's instructional video provides simple instructions on how to use the mobile phone app.
We've put together some of the most frequently asked questions about PayStay to help get you started. If you'd like to find out more information the PayStay website is a handy resource.
- How do I register for the PayStay app?
The PayStay app is available from the
Download the app and register your details including credit card and vehicle registration.
- What if I don't own a smartphone?
There are still options for you. Without a smartphone, you can pay via phone or SMS
Pay via SMS
- To start a session SMS
- PARK (zone number) (vehicle registration) to 0419 962 119
- to stop a session SMS
- STOP(zone number)(vehicle registration) to 0419 962 119
Pay via phone
Call 1300 322 111 to set up your account and instructions for phone pay.
- To start a session SMS
- Will I only pay for what I use and only be charged for this amount of parking?
Yes, the PayStay app will only charge you for the exact amount of time you have parked for. You select start and stop through the app for exact costs.
- What if I forget to press stop on the PayStay app when I drive away?
You will continue to be charged until you press Stop or until the time has lapsed/maximum amount for your parking zone has been reached.
- Can I renew my session once I've reached the parking time limit?
No, this is considered an overstay. The maximum time allocated to a PayStay session does not go beyond the allocated parking time zone (eg 2P signage = 2 hour max session). Infringements can be issued for any overstay in a parking time zone.
Timed areas are signed accordingly (e.g. 2P = 2 hour maximum parking). There have been no changes to the location of parking zones across the city.
- Once my session has expired, am I able to activate a second session for the same car park?
No, this is considered an overstay. If you are required to be in the area for a longer period of time, you will need to move your vehicle. The maximum time allocated to a PayStay session does not go beyond the allocated parking zone (eg 2P signage = 2 hour max session). Infringements can be issued for any overstay in a parking zone.
You are not able to activate a second session within the same PayStay zone. You can move to another PayStay zone to begin a new session. Should you return to the area later in the day, you could return to the same zone and activate a new session.
- How does the PayStay SMS reminder message system work?
The PayStay mobile application's SMS reminder is an opt in/out option and is sent 10 minutes prior to the parking session expiring.
You can change the SMS setting on the app in the account settings to:
- always send
- never send
- ask each time
Please note: SMS alerts incur a fee. For more information about fees and charged via PayStay, please visit paystay.com.au
- Are there any fees for using PayStay?
- No transaction fees are charged.
- SMS alerts incur a fee. You can change your settings to opt-in or out of SMS alerts.
- PayStay may set a minimum account balance requirement. Your account balance may be automatically topped-up using the credit card on your account.
For more information about PayStay fees and charges, please visit paystay.com.au
- Can transactions be reported or printed for audit and tax purposes?
Yes, a history of all transactions is available at paystay.com.au
- Can records be split for private and work-related parking expenses?
Reports are generated for each vehicle and are unable to be split between private and work-related use for that vehicle.