Policy No. 091 Financial Hardship Support Policy includes:
- Support for owner-occupied property owners
- Support for all commercial property owners to align with a Commercial Rates Replenishment program declared by Northern Territory Government in times of crisis
- Council will waive interest and cease recovery action when a ratepayer enters into and maintains an agreed payment schedule
- Concessions to rate properties used for community purposes at no more than the minimum rate will be continued
- During an emergency period, Council will not be undertaking any proceedings to sell land for unpaid rates for a minimum period of 12 months.
Residential financial hardship support
If you have had a loss of income and do not believe you can meet your upcoming rates payments, you can apply for assistance under City of Darwin’s Financial Hardship Support Policy.
Assistance may include negotiated payment terms and waiver of interest charges. Additionally, a three month waiver of rates may be applicable.
To be eligible to apply you must supply evidence of loss of income for the applicable year. A separate application form must be lodged for each property you are requesting assistance for.
For any further questions, please contact council’s revenue team on: