Council adopted its Strategic Projects Prospectus in February 2020.
When Council put the Strategic Projects Prospectus together, each elected member brought to the table ideas for projects that they believed would excite the community and draw investment into Darwin to assist in boosting Darwin’s economy.
Council looked at its existing plans, like the Darwin City Centre Masterplan, and took into account the Darwin City Deal projects as a city deal partner.
The six approved projects are outlined on page 33 of the prospectus and include:
- Redevelopment of Lameroo Beach to the Waterfront and Darwin Esplanade.
- Casuarina Pool redevelopment.
- Bundilla Beach Surf Park space enhancement to activate and improve the amenity of this area.
- Further investment in smart technologies for Darwin’s suburbs.
- Commercialisation opportunities for some Council services, like parking, waste management, and streetlight assets.
- Renewable energy hubs that incorporate solar and waste to energy technologies.
Darwin 2030: City for People. City of Colour. as Council’s strategic plan, outlines the various roles that Council can take in infrastructure development or major projects. These six projects allow for private partnerships and investment, collaboration with the Territory and Federal Governments and opportunities for council-led key major projects in Darwin.
When Council settled on these projects, it was before we were confronted by the Coronavirus pandemic. Although the pandemic has given us many challenges is has also provided us with a great opportunity. Darwin presents as an attractive place to not only live, but as Deloitte Access Economics said in a report it “predicts the Territory’s growth rate in the 2021 financial year to be the highest in the country”. This, and the opportunities now extended by the Australian Government in economic stimulus funding for infrastructure development, present a very positive outlook for Darwin and give City of Darwin an opportunity to bid for funding to fast track its long-term capital and signature projects identified in the Darwin City Centre Masterplan.