Media Digitisation Station
Darwin City Library has a self-service Media Digitisation Station for you to use to preserve your precious items.
You can digitise:
- Videos (VHS/VCR/camcorder)
- Printed photographs (up to A4 size)
- Colour negatives and slides
- Black and white negatives and slides
- Records - COMING SOON
What you need to know
- You will need to have intermediate computer skills to operate a Windows PC and the various software at the station. If you are not confident using technology, we recommend bringing someone with the necessary skills to assist you.
- Remember to bring your own storage device.
- It's your responsibility to check the copyright of photos you want to digitise. You can contact the Australian Copyright Council if you need advice on copyright laws.
- We advise booking a time to use the station. Customers are limited to a 2-hour session per day.
To book, please call 8930 0230 during library opening hours.
What you need to bring
- Items to digitise
- Something to store your digital copies to take home (USB memory drive, or portable hard drive).
- Headphones if there is an audio component to what you are digitising.
What you need to do before your session
- Prioritise what you want to digitise - is it photos, negatives or slides? Digitising takes time and you may not get through all your items in one session.
- Put each of your items in order so that the most important ones are ready to digitise first.
- If your item is fragile or very precious, consider taking it to a professional.
How will I know how to use the equipment?
- Instruction manuals are available for all of the devices and software to assist you.
- If you get stuck, a library staff member will be able to provide some guidance to resolve the issue.
- If you would like a demonstration from a staff member, please book an appointment with a staff member along with your Media Digitisation Station booking.