Media Digitisation Station
Darwin City Library has a self-service Media Digitisation Station for you to use to preserve your precious items.
You can digitise:
- Videos (Standard VHS, S-VHS Cassettes )
- Cassette Tapes
- Printed photographs (up to A4 size)
- Negatives (colour or black and white)
- Slides (colour or black and white)
What you need to know
- This is only available at the City Library.
- Intermediate computer skills are required. If you are not confident using technology, we recommend bringing someone with the necessary skills to assist you.
- Customers are limited to a 2-hour session per day.
- It's your responsibility to check the copyright of photos you want to digitise. You can contact the Australian Copyright Council if you need advice on copyright laws.
What you need to bring
- Items to digitise.
- A storage device to store your digital copies to take home (USB memory drive, or portable hard drive).
What you need to do before your session
- Prioritise what you want to digitise - is it photos, negatives or slides? Digitising takes time and you may not get through all your items in one session.
- Put each of your items in order so that the most important ones are ready to digitise first.
- If your item is fragile or very precious, consider taking it to a professional.
How will I know how to use the equipment?
- Instruction manuals are available for all of the devices and software to assist you.
- If you get stuck, a library staff member will be able to provide some guidance to resolve the issue.
- If you would like a demonstration from a staff member, please book an appointment with a staff member along with your Media Digitisation Station booking.
How do I book?
To book, please ask staff during your next visit or alternatively please call 89 300230 during library opening hours.