The Youth Advisory Committee's purpose is to give young people a say on Council-related matters that are important to them. The Youth Advisory Committee also assists members to develop leadership, communication, teamwork and public speaking skills.
- Build the group's knowledge of issues that affect young people in Darwin so that advice can be given to Council on how to respond to these issues.
- Work with Council to help find ways of making City of Darwin and its facilities youth friendly so that young people are comfortable in accessing them.
- Assist Council to action the objectives of the Youth Strategy.
- Provide an avenue for genuine communication between young people and Council.
- Gain an understanding of the responsibilities of City of Darwin and its many roles and to be actively involved in Council's decision-making processes where appropriate.
- Report the minutes and recommendations of each meeting to Council.
- Help the local community better understand and be informed about youth issues, the work of the Youth Advisory Committee and its progress.
- Provide an opportunity for young people to build on and expand their skills in leadership, communication, public speaking, solving problems, teamwork and civic affairs.
Membership will consist of:
- Up to 15 young people 12-25 years of age
- One Elected Member and one alternate Elected Member
Terms for the Committee membership are two (2) years.
Applications for membership can be made at any time. Register your expression of interest now, and a member of the Youth Team will be in touch to let you know the next steps.
Apply for the Youth Advisory Committee
Register of Committee Membership
Youth Advisory Committee Register
The Committee will meet at least four (4) times per year and no more than ten (10) times annually, between February and November.
Terms of Reference
Youth Advisory Committee Terms of Reference
For further information contact the Youth Services team on:
Tel | 08 8930 0300
Email | email@example.com