The Youth Advisory Committee is an Advisory Committee. Its purpose is to give young people a say in voicing their concerns on matters and issues that are important to them and are related to Council. The Youth Advisory Committee also assists young people involved to develop leadership, communication, teamwork and public skills.
- To build the group's knowledge of issues that affect young people in Darwin so that advice can be given to Council on how to manage these issues.
- To work with Council to help find ways of making City of Darwin and its facilities youth friendly so that young people are comfortable in accessing them.
- To assist Council to action the objectives of the Youth Strategy.
- To provide an avenue for genuine communication between young people and Council.
- To gain an understanding of the responsibilities of City of Darwin and its many roles and to be actively involved in Council's decision-making processes when appropriate.
- To report the minutes and recommendations of each meeting to Council.
- To help the local community better understand and be informed about youth issues, the work of the Youth Advisory Committee and its progress, through education and feedback.
- To provide an opportunity for young people to build on and expand their skills in leadership, communication, public speaking, solving problems, teamwork and civic affairs.
Membership will consist of:
- Up to fifteen (15) young people between twelve (12) to twenty-five (25) years of age
- One (1) Elected Member and one (1) alternate Elected Member
Terms for the Committee membership are two (2) years.
Membership is currently at capacity - but if you register your expression of interest, a member of the team will let you when a seat becomes available.
The Committee will meet at least four (4) times per year and no more than ten (10) times annually, between February and November.
For further information contact the Youth Services team on:
Tel | 08 8930 0300
Email | firstname.lastname@example.org
Terms of Reference