Major Community Project
Casuarina Aquatic and Leisure Centre
City of Darwin is redeveloping the Casuarina Pool into the Casuarina Aquatic and Leisure Centre, which will provide a modern, family-friendly facility for the community to enjoy.
The car park will remain closed for the duration of the project.
Construction work hours are between 7am - 5pm Monday to Saturday unless otherwise stated.
The facility is set to become a dynamic community hub that provides safe, accessible and healthy options for exercise and fun.
In July 2023 the final design was announced (see video here) with key project features including:
- An eight-lane 50m pool
- A temperature-controlled, six-lane 25-metre Learn to Swim pool
- Resort-style lagoon pool
- Café and BBQ facilities
- Dry and wet play areas
- Basketball half-court
- Large grassed area for informal games
- Minimum 70 per cent solid shade over 50m and 25m pools
- Zero-depth access to all pools
- Better positioned change rooms and amenities to improve functionality and access.
City of Darwin has contributed $19.3 million and the Federal Government is honouring an election promise by putting up $7.5 million.
Demolition is complete and construction is well underway, with the centre expected to open in late 2024.
Responsible Officer: Lyle Hebb, Senior Manager Major Projects.