Major Community Project
Casuarina Aquatic and Leisure Centre
City of Darwin is redeveloping the Casuarina Pool into the Casuarina Aquatic and Leisure Centre, which will provide a modern, family-friendly facility for the community to enjoy.
Site works will soon commence, starting with the closure of the adjoining public car park from Monday 17 October 2022. The car park will remain closed for the duration of the project, which will continue through to late 2024.
Demolition of the existing pool is expected to commence from Monday 24 October 2022.
Work hours will be between 7am - 5pm Monday to Saturday.
The concept design features:
- An eight-lane, 50-metre pool
- Resort-style lagoon pool
- Learn to swim pool
- Cafe and BBQ facilities
- Dry and wet play areas
- Basketball half-court
- Swimming club rooms.
Following consultation on the concept design in 2020, City of Darwin and local architects Ashford Group Pty Ltd, have taken on board the community and stakeholder feedback received.
Changes to the original master plan include:
- An expansion of the 50 metre pool design to incorporate eight lanes
- Shade over all three areas of water
- A basketball half-court and a large grassed area for informal ball games
- Swimming club rooms and office space moved closer to the 50-metre pool
- Change rooms and amenities have been re-positioned to improve functionality and access across the site.
The updated concept design and artist impressions can be viewed here: https://engage.darwin.nt.gov.au/casuarina-pool
City of Darwin has given the go-ahead for final detailed design to progress the proposed new $25 million Casuarina Aquatic and Leisure Centre. Council is looking to fund the project through grants and external borrowings.
Responsible Officer: Lyle Hebb, Senior Manager Major Projects.