Skip to main content

Infringements and Appeals

Home / About Council / Contact Council / Infringements and Appeals

Find out how to pay an infringement and other relevant information regarding infringement notices from City of Darwin.

City of Darwin has the power to issue infringement notices for a range of offenses that contravene the By-Laws or other relevant legislation.

Infringement notices can be issued for any of the following:-

  • parking and other traffic regulations
  • By-Law offences
  • animal control issues
  • littering.

How to Pay

Pay Online

Alternatively you may pay your infringement

  • by phone (08) 8930 0556 via credit card
  • in person at the Civic Centre, Harry Chan Avenue in the city (cash/EFTPOS)
  • at any Australia Post Office (you must have your infringement notice or courtesy letter).

Payment of an Infringement Notice

If you receive an infringement notice, you are required to pay the full amount within 14 days of that notice being issued.

Non-Payment of an Infringement Notice

After 14 Days

If payment is not received within the mandatory 14 days of the notice being served a courtesy letter is sent to the alleged offender in accordance with the Fines and Penalties (Recovery) Act a late penalty will be added to the original fine

After 28 Days

If the original fine and penalty are not received within 28 days of the courtesy letter being sent out, the infringement notice is passed to the Northern Territory Government's Fines Recovery Unit for enforcement action. If an enforcement order is made, further costs will be added to the amount due.

Northern Territory Government's Fines Recovery Unit can be contacted on 1800 111 530

Appealing an Infringement

In certain circumstances Council may consider withdrawing an infringement that has been issued for a parking offence. All appeals will require a review process. You can lodge your request for review online, via email or post.

Before you lodge a request, please ensure you read and understand the following information.

From time to time errors are made in the issuing of an infringement notice. In such circumstances the infringement will be readily withdrawn.

Circumstances we will consider

The following circumstances may be considered valid for the withdrawal of an infringement notice.

We will require a Statutory Declaration, letter or online form stating that:

  • you had a medical emergency that prevented you from removing your vehicle – documentation is required from your medical practitioner or hospital.
  • your vehicle was broken down and you could not move it. You will need to supply a towing receipt or proof of repairs (e.g. a receipt for parts, an invoice from a mechanic, AANT callout documentation, etc).
  • your vehicle was stolen – you need to advise Council of the PROMIS number provided by the Police upon reporting the incident.
  • you were detained by the Police – documentation from the Police is required.
Circumstances we will not consider

Appeals will generally not be granted if you received your infringement because:

  • the ticket or permit had fallen out of sight or flipped upside down – you must ensure the pay and display ticket is displayed correctly prior to leaving your vehicle.
  • you left your permit in the other car – if you do not have your permit you need to purchase a pay and display ticket and park legally in a bay that is available (not another reserved bay).
  • you thought you were allowed to park there – only authorised vehicles can park in Loading Zones, Taxi Stands, Disabled Bays and Bus Zones.
  • you did not see the sign – as the driver you must look for parking signs to ascertain if parking is permitted in the area you intend to leave your vehicle.
  • you did not understand the parking sign – the signs are based on Australian Standards.
  • you went to get change for the machine – you need to arrange this before you arrive.
  • you lost track of time.
  • your doctor’s appointment/hairdresser/job interview etc went over time – you must ensure you have parked in a place that provides enough time.
  • you had to use the toilet.
  • you were only parked for a few minutes – parking fees are to be paid after parking your vehicle.

How to apply for a review

Submit your review application online

Alternative Options

  • Email your completed form with any relevant attachments to
  • Alternatively, you can post the form or send a letter to Council (GPO Box 84, Darwin, NT 0801) requesting the infringement notice be reviewed. If you send a letter, you must include the following information:
    • your name and postal address (we will respond in writing to the address provided)
    • contact telephone number
    • the infringement notice number
    • the vehicle registration number
    • an explanation of why you believe the infringement notice should be reviewed
    • any supporting documentation.

How will the review be conducted?

When undertaking the review, Council will take into account all of the available information, including:

  • information collected by the issuing officer
  • photographs taken at the time of the infringement
  • circumstances outlined by you in your request for the review (and any supporting documents)
  • relevant legislation (eg Australian Road Rules, Local Government Act, Darwin City Council By-Laws).

What happens next?

The review process can take up to 7 days. You will receive a response by email/mail/telephone advising you of the outcome.

If insufficient information is provided, we may contact you for additional details before reviewing your infringement notice. If this information is not received, a decision will be made based on the information at hand.

Should the infringement be upheld, you will be advised of a new pay by date.

If you do not pay the infringement notice, request a payment extension or elect to go to court by the new due date, the infringement will be processed in accordance with the Fines & Penalties (Recovery) Act. If a courtesy letter is generated further costs will be added to the original penalty. If you do nothing in response to the courtesy letter, an enforcement order may be made by the Fines Recovery Unit (telephone: 1800 111 530) pursuant to the Fines & Penalties (Recovery) Act. If an enforcement order is made, further costs will be added to the amount due.

Having the matter heard in court

If you wish to have the matter heard in the Local Court, you will need to complete the back of the infringement notice or courtesy letter at “election to have matter heard in Court” and return it to Council. You may also advise Council by letter (GPO Box 84, Darwin, NT 0801) or email

Help us improve this site