About Shoal Bay Waste Management Facility
Shoal Bay Waste Management Facility
08 8930 0471
Monday - Sunday*: 7.00 am - 5.45 pm**
*Except Christmas Day.
**No vehicles accepted after 5:45 pm daily. This is to make sure everyone can smoothly get in and out before our gates strictly lock at 6pm.
Shoal Bay is the home of City of Darwin’s waste and recycling management facility and our renewable energy facility. A recycle shop and mulch facility are also on site.
Shoal Bay Waste Management Facility services the greater Darwin region and is the only licenced landfill in the area and operates under EPL188-4. The facility comprises of a lined putrescible waste landfill and an inert landfill cell.
Shoal Bay Waste Management Facility receives over 180,000 tonnes of waste per annum and has a forecasted operational life until 2047. To improve ongoing operational management and meet increasing regulatory and environmental standards, a number of upgrades are underway to advance the facility for the future.
Our aim is to reduce the volume of material entering the landfill at Shoal Bay by encouraging the separation of materials that can be recycled from general waste before being disposed.
Safety at Shoal Bay
At City of Darwin, we are committed to maintaining the highest standards of safety and efficiency at our facilities. Shoal Bay Waste Management Facility plays a vital role in our city's waste management infrastructure, and we depend on the cooperation of our visitors to ensure its smooth operation.
When using the Shoal Bay Waste Management Facility, we kindly request that you:
- Adhere to Safety Guidelines: Please observe all posted signs and follow the instructions of staff on-site. These rules are in place to ensure your safety and the safety of others.
- Drive Responsibly: Safe and careful driving is essential within the facility, which is under the authority of the Traffic Regulations 1999. Please adhere to all posted speed limits and be aware of other vehicles, pedestrians, and staff. Only licensed drivers can operate vehicles in this area.
- Protect your Passengers: Please don’t allow passengers to ride in the trailer or ute tray; seatbelts should always be worn while in a moving vehicle.
- Sort Your Waste: The correct sorting of waste helps us operate more efficiently and sustainably. Please sort your waste according to the clearly marked categories at the facility.
- Respect Others: Please be patient and treat staff and other patrons with respect. Any form of abusive or threatening behaviour is not tolerated.
- Protect Our Environment: Please ensure all waste is disposed of properly in the designated areas. Littering within the facility or the surrounding areas is strictly prohibited.
The Trash and Treasure Shop is operated independently by Helping People Achieve (HPA): a community-based organisation that provides opportunities for people with disabilities to undertake various activities within the community and to learn the skills required to move into the world of employment.
Before you head to the transfer station, pop into the Trash and Treasure Shop and visit the friendly team from HPA to see if your items can be repurposed or resold.
The Shop commenced trading in July 2018. You can buy pre-loved items as well as drop off goods for repurpose or resold.
Trash & Treasure Shop
Shoal Bay Access Road (off Vanderlin Drive)
|Monday to Sunday*
|8.00am - 4.00pm
|*Closed Christmas Day and Good Friday
Why take your items to the Trash and Treasure Shop?
Dropping off goods that can be reused will:
- reduce the amount of unnecessary waste sent to landfill
- lighten your waste load prior to heading to the Transfer Station
- provide an affordable and useful item to someone else in the community.
Items Accepted by the Trash and Treasure Shop
The following goods will be accepted at the Trash and Treasure Shop subject to an inspection to determine their quality.
- car batteries
- bed bases and frames
- household furniture
- bicycles, scooters including electric.
- kitchen utensils and crockery (pots, pans, plates & bowls)
- e-waste goods such as TVs, computers and printers (must be in working order)
- books, CDs, DVDs
- building materials such as pavers and tiles
- mobile phones
- household batteries
Shoal Bay Mulch receives and recycles green waste materials and offers mulch products for purchase.
The Mulch Centre
Via the Shoal Bay Access Road, through the entrance and weighbridge
0406 936 872
|Monday - Sunday*
|7.00am to 5.00pm
|*Including Public Holidays except Christmas Day
Accepted Green Waste Items
Shoal Bay Mulch accepts the following green waste:
- grass clippings
- general garden clippings
- palm fronds
- tree branches
- tree trunks
Please ensure your greenwaste load is not contaminated with:
- wire or nails
- plastic string, ties or other non-organic material
- organic waste from food production or processing.
Contact Shoal Bay Mulch for further information.