Skip to main content
Home / Explore / Managing an event / Event Planning Guide / Getting Started

Planning an event? Here's some information to get you started. Below is a comprehensive list of things you may need to consider depending on the scope of your event.

Need Help?

Feel free to call the Events Team who can help answer any questions you may have.

08 8930 0300

Get In Early!

Planning an event on public can be quite complex.  Depending on the size or complexity of your event, it may take 2 to 12 weeks to ensure everything is in place. City of Darwin has a responsibility to ensure that all events on Council property are properly organised and safely managed. An early application will give Council more time to assist you and will give you more time to organise a successful event and fulfil any legal requirements. Failure to submit your application within the necessary time limits may mean your event may be postponed, cancelled or an alternative venue may need to be sought.

If your application is successful, an approved permit (or permits) including conditions will be provided to you. By accepting your application, Council and the applicant automatically become bound by the terms of the approval and any conditions set out in the notification.

Permits You May Require

Depending on the event, you may require additional permits (such as filming or liquor consumption) or may want to hire additional equipment.

Important information:

  • Please provide as much information as possible.
  • Event organisers are required to submit a current copy of their Public Liability Insurance which provides protection against any claims for compensation in respect of unforeseen and accidental personal injury or property damage for which they may be legally liable.
  • The larger the event the earlier you should contact our Events team. 
  • Events requiring road closures, fireworks, liquor licenses etc should be discussed with our team a minimum of 8 weeks prior to the event.

Equipment Available

Event Equipment Application Form

Fun & Games
Accessible Flooring
PA Equipment
Staging Hire
Smoothie Bikes

Advertising and Promotion Options

Static Banners Sites and Street Light Banners

Licenses You May Also Require

Based on the nature of your event, you may possibly require additional licenses and permits:

Health & Safety At Your Event

Coordinating an event is a complex task requiring detailed planning, consultation, and involvement of many stakeholders. Given the complexity of event organisation, it is vital that you retain all records of the planning, implementation and evaluation process.

Health & safety must be an integral part of the event planning process and form part of the production schedule. As different elements of the event are pieced together, their implications on health and safety for the whole event must be assessed.

Event organisers are accountable for the Health & Safety of all those taking part in, working at or attending the event. You must ensure you have a named person who is responsible for Health & Safety at your event.

The following documents are required to assist you in your planning eliminating any risk:

  • Site plan
  • Event Plan
  • Risk Management Plan
  • Waste management
  • Traffic Management Plan (TMP) if closing roads and/or footpaths
  • Public Liability Insurance

Waste Management

Environmental sustainability must be taken into consideration and be inherent to your event. Developing a waste management plan is fundamental to assist in the disposal of litter, food waste, possible hazardous materials and toilet management.

A waste management plan includes:

  • The type of waste on site
  • How the waste will be contained and monitored during the event
  • How waste will be removed
  • Number and location of bins on site

Event Traffic Management

If your event is likely to disrupt vehicle or pedestrian traffic you will be required to submit a Traffic Management Plan (TMP) under Regulation 38 of the NT Road Traffic Act. To keep people safe, this plan assists with the continual flow of traffic and the process of safely managing all road users which includes vehicles, cyclists and pedestrians during your event with the minimum level of inconvenience.

What is a Traffic Management Plan (TMP)?

A Traffic Management Plan (TMP) is the administration that depicts the design and implementation of temporary traffic management measures whilst the event/project is executed.

When is a TMP needed for an event?

A TMP is needed for any event that varies the normal operating conditions of any part of City of Darwin and/or NT Government road reserve.  For example, if the event/project prevents:

  • Normal pedestrian access along a footpath
  • Normal use of a vehicle driving or parking lane

You will need to determine if the road is serviced by either the City of Darwin and/or the NT Government and contact the relevant department.

Who designs a TMP?

Traffic Management Plans and the implementation of these plans are prepared by persons who have completed the relevant qualifications in Advanced Worksite Traffic Management and have current accreditation. Service providers may be found in the Darwin Yellow Pages under ‘Traffic Controllers & Equipment’.

What is the cost of event traffic management?
When engaging a qualified traffic management organisation you will negotiate fees association with the implementation of the TMP and association Traffic Guidance Scheme. The application cost to City of Darwin is minimal and is determined on an annual basis within our Fees and Charges. 
How do I let the public know?

Public Notification

Responsibility for publicity in respect of traffic disruption likely to be caused by the permitted parade/procession rests with the permit holder no less than 2 weeks prior to the event.

You will be required to notify the following:

  • Local residents via an advertisement placed in the NT News
  • Businesses that may be affected along the event route must be consulted in writing
  • NT Police
  • St John Ambulance
  • Northern Territory Fire & Emergency Services
  • Local bus line and tour companies
  • Taxi Companies
  • Department of Infrastructure

Unsuccessful Applications

Council or the delegated Council officer may refuse an application if:

  • Your completed application is not received within the specified notification period
  • Your application does not have the necessary required information enclosed
  • The Department of Infrastructure, Planning & Environment, NT Police, Fire & Emergency Services, NT Worksafe, St John Ambulance have an objection to your event
  • Another event has already been granted an approval on the same day in the same location
  • The requested location does not have the capacity to sustain your event
  • Council is not satisfied that all the required planning processes have been adequately completed
  • Council believes your event poses an unreasonable risk to public safety


If you require further assistance with any stage of your event’s planning after referring to the relevant information in the guide, please contact 08 8930 0300 or email 

Help us improve this site